I am taking part in no spend January, which means you don’t spend any money unless you need to or have to – and I can tell you it is EXTREMELY hard and challenging. Probably doesn’t help I keep teasing myself with online browsing. But this does mean that I am trying to throw my attention in another direction and currently that direction is with food, because you need to eat right?!
With Burn’s Night fast approaching on 25 January, I wanted to try a recipe that was another option to the traditional Haggis and volia! – my very own Salmon Oat Fish Cakes.
Makes 6 fish cakes
x1 tin of salmon or fresh salmon fillets
300g sweet potatoes
50g of frozen peas
1tsp of Cajun seasoning
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes, bring to the boil and mash
- In a bowl put the tin of salmon (make sure you take out of any bones), frozen peas, cajun seasoning and the sweet potatoes.
*Important – make sure you you allow the mix to cool before going on to the next step.
- Take some of the mix and mould into rounds. Dip into the egg and then the oats.
Or you can mix the oats into the mixture and skip this step.
- Make sure your oil is hot in a frying pan before adding the fish cakes. Cook until golden brown.
- Serve with either salad or vegetables of your choice.
Tip – you could change the cajun seasoning for 2tsp wholegrain mustard and 1tbsp parsley.